On the 14th November Shout Out UK hosted one of the first of its Career forums on How to launch a campaign , with guests Michael Sani (British Actor, Political Revolutionary) and Louise Burfitt-Dons (Conservative Party Candidate, Activist).
Both are seasoned campaigners, with Louise Burfitt-Dons heading up many worthy causes and Michael Sani fighting to bring political awareness to young people via Bite the Ballot. They offered a wealth of advice, from the name of the campaign, to how to deal with fundraising.
‘I think it’s the hurdles that we come up against. You must be extremely resilient & get up each and every time your knocked down’ – Mike Sani
Here is their 8 point check list on how to launch a campaign :
- Identify what issue you feel passionate for and why.
- Research if anyone else is campaigning for said issue, if they are, try and organise cooperation with them.
- The name is important, as it tells someone what you do in a couple of words, but not overly so. If the campaign is strong, the name matters little.
- Identify who your target audience are and how to speak with them
- Identify who can make said changes that you wish to achieve via the campaign: A corporation or someone in Parliament? A minister?
- Imagination is very important when running a campaign. Be creative when planning how to campaign and build a support base.
- Be inventive, events are a great way to get in touch with your audience and support.
- Cake sales, washing cars, cleaning neighbours gardens are all great ways to raise funds! Grant applications can be disheartening for beginners as the process is very long and slow.