Hilary Clinton announced her candidacy for the Presidential Election in 2016. As a counterargument to the article that was also posted on ShoutOut, here are 5 reasons why you should not vote for Hillary Clinton.
- Hillary Clinton is pro-war. She pushed for the 2009 troop surge in Afghanistan and for US intervention in Libya. She has openly stated that the US should have done more to intervene in Syria, and create a ‘credible fighting force’ through the use of drones. Similarly, she is an advocate of the Israeli government and has defended President Netanyahu’s blatant attempts at ethnic cleansing.
- She has voted for the reauthorisation of the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act was passed in light of the 9/11 attacks; its aims were to strengthen domestic security and law-enforcement. The act is highly controversial, since it places a lot of power in the hands of the government and threatens civil liberties. Clinton has gone on to accuse Edward Snowden of ‘supporting terrorism’.
- She has further supported the militarisation of Mexico’s borders and the arrest of undocumented immigrants. She stated: ‘We have to send a clear message: just because your child gets across the border doesn’t mean your child gets to stay’. This proposal contradicts international and US law on humanitarian protection.
- Hillary Clinton already has a history of corruption and incompetence concerning the attacks on a US diplomatic compound in Benghazi that killed four Americans, including the US ambassador to Libya in 2012. Clinton took responsibility for the attacks yet deleted all her emails regarding them.
- Clinton’s close ties with large financial corporations. In October 2014, Clinton was paid $400,000 to give a speech at two Goldman Sachs events. JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and Citigroup are all financing her political career. This poses the question of how well Clinton can handle the economic situation and rising unemployment in America, if her loyalty and support are due to the 1 per cent.
All in all, a vote for Hillary Clinton is a vote for war, and the reintroduction of another oligarchical figure in US politics. If you believe in Clinton’s liberal, white feminist rhetoric then vote for her, but don’t do it just because she’s a woman.